Thursday, November 15, 2012

24 Week Appointment

Tuesday was my 24 week appointment. Everything is still going great! The baby had a heartbeat of 148 and my belly measured 24 weeks on the nose.

The last two appointments I have been to have been a part of the Centering Pregnancy program at the hospital. It's a program that starts around 20 weeks until the end of your pregnancy. You go to your appointment and instead of waiting in the lobby to see the midwife you go straight back to a "group" appointment. The nurse is there to check your weight and blood pressure, and there's a screen up with a big comfy chair for the midwife to check the heartbeat, measure your uterus, and answer any questions that are specific to you. Afterward everyone has all the medical stuff checked out, we sit around and talk about different aspects of pregnancy.

So far we've only had two appointments and they have both been a pretty good time. There are about 8 girls in our group and we're all due late February to mid March. I love that after an hour drive I actually have a substantial appointment instead of just the quick medical stuff. I really feel like everyone benefits from it. The midwives there are very supportive of natural birth as well--which is extremely important to me.

My next appointment is December 4th and after that I start going every two weeks. I really can't believe I am to that point already! Which reminds me...Wednesday I crossed a BIG milestone, VIABILITY! While I want this baby to keep cooking for a while, it's some what comforting to know if baby comes early he or she has a fighting chance. This also marks the point in pregnancy where I start counting down instead of up. Less than 16 weeks left!! It's going by so fast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment