Thursday, July 19, 2012

First Appointment

I had my first prenatal appointment yesterday at exactly 7 weeks. It went wonderfully!

Let me just begin by saying that I can't praise my midwife enough. I love, love, love going there and it is absolutely worth the 45 minute drive. The midwife I saw today was the one that confirmed my miscarriage and I really like her. She was so comforting and compassionate during one of the saddest moments of my life and is just all around a great person.

The first thing she said to me was "I'm so thrilled to see you here!" She asked how I was feeling and if I was nervous. When I told her I felt better about this pregnancy, but still nervous and apprehensive she was very understanding. She offered to bring in the portable ultrasound and "take a peak" as long as I promised not to get upset if we didn't see anything. Since I had been charting I knew I was exactly 7 weeks so I was really hoping that we would be able to see a heartbeat.

She used the abdominal ultrasound and we saw the gestational sac immediately...and then, the flicker of a heartbeat! It was such a great feeling. Even though the portable machine was old and fuzzy, I could see the heartbeat clear and strong. She took a few measurements and kind of laughed and pointed to the screen. Baby was measuring 7 weeks 0 days. She said "look, you were right on!" Another reason I am so thankful I chart! If I was going by my last period (which is how doctors calculate your due date) I would have been 8 weeks and 1 day and I would probably have anxiety about baby measuring "small." But since I know exactly when I ovulated, I can be confident that baby is actually right on track.

I had an exam and we talked for a while about a few questions I had. I had my blood drawn (5 vials!) and scheduled an appointment for August 6th (my birthday!). I am having a "real" ultrasound at my next appointment with a meeting with a midwife after. I'll be 9 weeks and 5 days.

I feel so much better after this appointment. Even though my fear is not completely gone, it is very much alleviated. Still hoping and praying for a healthy pregnancy!


No comments:

Post a Comment